Monday, November 9, 2009

Week 5: Hold On

We have been hearing a lot lately about how we are living in "difficult times," as if preceding times were a cake walk, or were somehow easier than the times before now. I know it seems like there is mounting pressure, opposition, and hardship, but our times are about as challenging as they were for our parents, and their parents, and their parents, and so on down to Adam! Life is challenging. That's why I so appreciated Ann M. Dibbs' talk, "Hold On." I love righteous women of God; they are so inspiring to me! I've looked on the Church's website for a brief bio on Sister Dibbs, but haven't found one. What I know of her is that she is President Monson's only daughter, that she was four when he was called as a mission president in Canada, and 11 when her father was called as an Apostle. Surely she has been well taught in the gospel!
I hope we can gain some strenth from her words. When we're done reading, lets take a little time and make ourselves a reminder to "Get a Grip!"

4 comments:

  1. I loved this talk. I especially enjoyed the very end when Sister Dibbs talks about a conversation she had with her dad (Pres. Monson) about the blessing we recieve as memberso of the church. It is true that we are so blessed, and the idea of President Monson as a father is beautiful to me. It humanizes him in a way that makes him more relatable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like we have heard a lot lately about 'hold on' and 'endure to the end', and getting back to our testimony and why we do what we do. Are we getting a little lax as long-time members? Maybe. It's important for all of us to remember our covenants with the Lord, and focus on the basics.

    We were asked recently by our YW Stake leaders to commit to 3 things: prayer morning and night, daily scripture reading and smiling. Pretty basic, right? Yet all us leaders needed to be reminded of it.

    Em - I swear I read the talks first thing every week - I don't know why it takes me so long to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have at times in my life been lax about prayer and scripture study and have not been obedient and used these saftey tools diligently and persistently and have come to recognize that when I am not using them I am taking steps back instead of progressing forward. They are such simple things, not easy, but simple things that bring some of the greatest blessing in my life and the help I need to put things into the right perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Jennilee. I become very lazy when it comes to reading scriptures and praying. We just need to remember how much easier life can be when we add those simple things 'happily' into our life! :) I know this was last week talk. Just wanted to add my thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Enlighten us!