Monday, December 28, 2009

Being Temperate in all Things

I found myself laughingly rueful as I read this week's talk. You see, its been Christmas, and I don't know anyone who makes temperance an important part of their feasting! However, as we'll learn from Elder Watson, "Being temperate in all things" is more than just a quality that keeps us from eating too much.
I was very interested to learn that temperance is a gift of the Spirit, implying that our perfect exercise of this divine attribute is contingent upon our worthiness to have the Spirit, our desire to have this gift, and the grace of the Savior.
It's a new year, and many of us have had to make changes to adjust to a changing economy, a changing world. I hope we can find the inspiration and grace to make these temperate changes joyfully, gratefully, gracefully.

2 comments:

  1. I needed that reminder. I've got a new project going on, and as usually happens with me when I get a new project, I've been tending to get carried away with enthusiasm about it. Once an idea hits me, my nature is to concentrate so hard on it that I end up detatching from other things I need to be doing. Balance is a hard thing to achieve, and moderation is a hard concept for me to feel any kind of success at. Especially when it comes to waiting. The Savior was great at being patient and letting things happen in their time, and I tend to rush right in. Temperence, patience, balance... all things on my self-improvement list. I am grateful for the reminder, and the perfect example of the Savior, as well as the grace of the Lord in allowing precious time for do-overs as I struggle to master myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acutally, this is an excellent talk for considering New Year's resolutions! When thinking about all the things we would like to change about ourselves and our habits, it is good to be reminded that "being temperate means to carefully examine our expectations and desires, to be diligent and patient in seeking righteous goals."

    Perhaps being patient in pursuing resolutions will keep me from giving up on them by the middle of February! And perhaps temperance itself is the goal we should all aim for, since "a temperate soul - one who is humble and full of love - is also a person of increased spiritual strength. With increased spiritual strength, we are able to develop self-mastery and to live with moderation."

    I really enjoyed this talk. And this is a good time of the year to review it. Thanks, Em!

    ReplyDelete

Enlighten us!