Monday, January 25, 2010

Prayer and Promptings

This week's talk is a great companion to last week's. This week, President Packer teaches about Prayer and Promptings. He begins by reminding us that the dispensation of the fullness of times was ushered in by a 14-year-old boy's prayer. That made me think about all the other amazing things that have happened in answer to prayer: Nephi's vision of the tree of life, the conversion (or reclamation) of Alma the Younger, the Lord's prayer, and all the prayers He uttered in the Garden. I teach Sunday School, and it seems like a lot of the discussion questions outlined by the correlation department in the manual are oftem questions with "standard sunday school answers:" Pray, read you scriptures, attend your meetings....When we remember that scripture study (James 1:5), prayer, and attending church meetings ushered in a dispensation, we won't be so casual about these things. We will begin to see they are gateways to promptings, inspiration, and great works. After all, "by small and simple," even standard things, are great things brought to pass.

1 comment:

  1. I particularly enjoyed reading this talk tonight! This was one that I did not get to listen to and I really wish I would have! 2 things stuck out to me.
    1. You can know the things you need to know. Pray that you will learn to receive that inspiration and remain worthy to receive it. Keep that channel—your mind—clean and free from the clutter of the world. I really liked this quote. It's that simple. You can know the things you need to know. All you have to do is pray!
    2. One of the adversary’s sharpest tools is to convince us that we are no longer worthy to pray. No matter who you are or what you may have done, you can always pray. There have been so many times when I haven't felt worthy to pray to my Father. But you can! No matter what. Satan sure is a devious man!
    Anyways, I love Boyd K. Packer. His talks are always great! Simple and to the point! Don't forget to pray! :)

    ReplyDelete

Enlighten us!