Monday, January 18, 2010

To Acquire Spiritual Guidance

Sorry I missed last week girls! I thought I had set the post to go on without me, and it didn't. I was in Seattle being a competitor/vacationer. It was fully awesome.
This week's talk is from Elder Scott. "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance" was the first talk of the Saturday morning session. What an excellent way to start conference! Here, Elder Scott invites us to learn to follow the Spirit, citing specific examples in his own life that could easily be emulated throughout the rest of conference.
We live in challenging times, and we need the influence of the Spirit more and more as we seek to discern our proper course. I know the Spirit can and will guide us. I know that the more we seek him, the easier he becomes to hear. I'm grateful for the gift of his companionship in my life.
*BONUS to ladies in 2nd ward: this is our Teaching for our Time lesson this month, so read up and be ready to participate on Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. A very good talk, and something we all need to be reminded of. The two points that stood out for me were 1) it takes careful practice, with patience, to learn to recognize and develop the capacity for personal spiritual revelation and 2) some 'direction comes so clearly and so unmistakably that it can be written down like spiritual dictation".

    For the first, we sometimes wait until we are confronted with a major decision to approach the Lord in prayer. We can be listening to the Spirit daily so it can help us recognize divine inspiration.

    For the second, I must admit that I have never written down anything that I felt was inspiration. Another good reason to be a regular journal keeper! I have received direction in my life, but have not recorded for my benefit, or for those of future generations. A very important point on Elder Scott's part, and a challenge to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Enlighten us!