Monday, February 8, 2010

Helping Others Recognize the Whisperings of the Spirit.

Learning to recognize the Spirit is HARD! That's why I appreciate Sister Matsumori's talk, "Helping Others Recognize the Whisperings of the Spirit." You see, I am in a life-long process of learning the hear the Spirit, to recognize what is His influence and what is just me coming up with stuff. One blessing of my calling as a teacher is my opportunity to learn--I can't teach the doctrines of the Abrahamic covenant unless I study the scriptures, study the lesson, study other correlated materials, and pray really hard about how to best teach and reach my class. I am confident that the same blessings will come into my life as I teach others how to recognize the Spirit. I want my children to follow the Spirit--I want them to seek out his influence. In order to do so, I must spend time on my knees and with my scriptures, inviting the Spirit into my life and home. As I earnestly seek to teach my children and give them opportunities to feel the Spirit, I will refine my own abilities as well! See how that works? Teacher and student, and both are edified.

2 comments:

  1. Listening for the still small voice is something I have to work at everyday. But I am usually looking for a bolt of lightening. And that isn't the way the Lord works. If it does happen, it is in a very subtile way. I myself, need to become more spiritual. Any suggestions other than reading and spending a lot of time on my knees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really helps to try and make quiet time for yourself. If you're in the habit of always having a tv or radio on, you miss a lot of chances to "be still, and know..." Also, I've found as I've done more than just read, but study my scriptures, I'll begin to have doctrinal questions. There's a lot I don't understand. If I take time to really research those things, the Spirit begins to whisper answers to me. Also, the hymns of Zion and other uplifting music really helps invite the Spirit!

    ReplyDelete

Enlighten us!